Tuesday 25 August 2015

Why I'd make a poor scientist

The pellets of rain didn't feel as heavy as the speed with which my shirt got drenched would suggest. Trudging through the muddy alleys of ebutte ero, Lagos Island, in my quest for a number of far-flung items for purchase, I silently breathed a prayer to the Almighty for help in achieving my aims within the shortest time possible.

An hour later and I was virtually done. This was in spite of many traders hell-bent on early closure to beat the gridlocked roads the torrent would inevitably bring on their ways home.

I knew God had answered my prayer as He usually does when I ask. So I was thankful. A thought occurred to me. Was I sure my prayers were answered or I could have achieved equal success even if I hadn't prayed. I giggled inwardly. I had experienced enough frustrating market encounters (which ended up fruitless in spite of adequate cash) to know when I had experienced a positive outing.

However because I am not a scientist, my "theory" of answered prayer cannot be logically tested. Had I been one, I would need to prepare a number of similar trips to the market on similar rainy days trying to purchase similarly difficult-to-locate items. I would then make a point to not pray while holding a timer in order to record accurately the length it took to complete my task. This experiment would then need to be similarly carried out by a woman,  foreign nationals of both sexes, and other suitable samples to generate proper data points for analysis.

I would then compile my observations into a scientific paper to be delivered to other science peers and published in a reputable journal. Only then would I be able to scientifically theorize that prayers could be answered resulting in a measurable improvement to a no-pray option.

Firstly I don't have the time for such an exhaustive experiment just to prove prayer works and God exists.
Secondly conducting such an experiment demonstrates a measure of doubt and I know for a fact that doubt negates my ability to relate with God.

So I guess the reader just has to take my word for it that my prayers were and are answered. This is why I could never be a passable scientist!

No comments:

Post a Comment