Saturday 5 December 2015

From a slave. . . To a friend

John 15:14-15 (NLT)

"You are my friends if you do what I command.
I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me."

1 John 3:1 NLT

" See how very much our Father loves us, for he calls us his children, and that is what we are! But the people who belong to this world don't recognize that we are God's children because they don't know him"

Everything God has done, is doing, and will ever do, stems out of love. From the beginning of time, His motive in the creation has always been love. His love manifests itself in so many ways! Ways sometimes difficult for us humans to understand.

A neighbor's baby died recently and I felt burdened to comfort her in her grief on the very day her baby died. I was initially at a loss for words, but I overheard her mumbling, in confusion, the words "thanks be to God".

I took my cue from that and spoke about the goodness of God and His great love. I told her the truth. That God loves that baby more than she ever could, and knew the baby likewise. In His infinite wisdom and goodness, he decided to take the baby away and however painful, we should accept His decision in good faith.

An inferno had just occurred in Lagos which led to multiple explosions, uncontrollable fires which burnt several buildings, and deaths of both old and young.

These incidences, to a western audience sound like a recipe for litigation and other forms of redress, and not merely a resignation to the will of God. But in such a country where helplessness in the face of incredible disarray in governance, is the order of the day, we find ourselves regularly seeking solace in the omnipotence of God, and in the knowledge of His love.

God loves His entire creation. His love means integrity and adherence to His rules. God's love doesn't waver. Neither does it change. In spite of the wrong we do as His children, he still lovingly leads us towards His predetermined destination.

A brother in Christ lost his job recently, and being very prominent in church, I found my eyes wondering over to his wife during Sunday's church service. They are very strong financial supporters of the church and I wondered how the setback would affect them. But lo, when she sang worship that morning, I felt tears running down my cheeks. I could feel the total dedication to God, come what may.

I was spiritually strengthened with such faith in our God and I felt so glad to be a Co-heir in Christ with this faithful sister. It reminded me of a passage in the Bible about the Roman centurion in Matthew 8:5-13, & Luke 7:1-10.

Jesus was heading over to his home, when called, to heal his servant but the officer begged Jesus not to bother embarking on the journey, but simply to speak! The officer understood the power and Authority that Jesus represented and told Jesus all he needed was His Word. Jesus was astounded.  In Luke 7:9 NLT,

"When Jesus heard this, he was amazed. Turning to the crowd that was following him, he said, "I tell you, I haven't seen faith like this in all Israel!"

Jesus is all powerful! And we are his friends!

May God grant us the faith to put all our trust only in Him, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment