Friday 20 November 2015

Like Father like Son

Oftentimes I have read few portions of scripture where Jesus spoke about imitating His Father in all things. One of them comes to mind.

John 5:19 NLT
" So Jesus explained, "I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself. He does only what he sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does, the Son also does."

The above verse became vividly clear to me recently.

It is the norm in my home that the lion share of time spent with our child is taken by his mother. She grooms him, does his homework with him when back from school, and spends countless hours simply playing with him.

Yet I note that the boy considers his most special time as the ones spent in my company!

Not that I often even have the time to play with him. However he utilizes such time just imitating me. He wants to dress exactly as I do, carry out the same activities, and even insists on accompanying me in any foray outside the home.

On a particular day I was working on my laptop, the boy brought his mother's laptop close to me, sat in my exact posture, carried the laptop precisely the way I did, and even opened the same software (even though he obviously didn't know how to use it)! At that moment when I marveled at his motivation to be exactly as I was, the Holy Spirit reminded me of the above verse. Tears of wonder rolled down my eyes.

Was this what Jesus meant? The utter devotion, love and loyalty my son was showing in his attempts to imitate his father touched me specially that day. In fact it touches me everyday because I'm conscious that whatever improper action I take will be wholeheartedly copied by my son who is constantly watching my every move.

On a different note, if Jesus was speaking of the same level of devotion I noted in my son as what He has towards the Father, then that bond is very special indeed! It tells us a lot.

It tells us that the Father has the nature of a servant, He doesn't condemn anyone, He is merciful even of those who hate him, He is meek, gentle, quiet, and unassuming. He can also be violent! He blesses and He also curses.

It was a profound revelation!

No comments:

Post a Comment